There is no doubt that pay-per-view advertising is an effective way for businesses to market their products or services. The problem with PPV advertising is that it usually is confused with Spyware. We have created this guide on what is PPV Advertising, how it works, and why you should consider using it as part of your overall business strategy. By reading through our guide you will learn everything you need to know about PPV advertising so that you can decide if this method would work well for your company’s needs.
- 1 What is PPV Advertising?
- 2 How does it differ from PPC?
- 3 History of PPV Advertising
- 4 There are three types of PPV Advertising.
- 5 How does PPV Advertising work?
- 6 3 of the best PPV networks
- 7 2 things to consider with a PPV offer
- 8 Benefits of PPV Ads
- 9 What are some of the complaints about PPV Advertising?
- 10 What is PPV Advertising networks?
- 11 What Kind of Products and Services Can use PPV Promote?
- 12 How much does PPV Advertising Cost?
- 13 What is the future for PPV Advertising?
- 14 How to Launch your successful PPV Ads Campaign
- 15 Using PPV Advertising to grow your Business
What is PPV Advertising?
What is PPV Advertising? PPV advertising is a form of online advertising which consists of outbidding other advertisers on certain keywords to drive traffic from these ads to your site where you can earn money from either PPV or another affiliate-based relationship. This type of advertising also allows for more control over the target audience and therefore offers better conversion rates than traditional forms of online advertising. It is becoming more and more popular due to its much better conversion rates than other online adverts.
How does it differ from PPC?
What is PPV Advertising? What is the most basis difference between PPV and PPC? The most basic difference between PPV and PPC advertising is the fact that, with PPV, you only pay when a visitor clicks on your ad. With PPC, you pay each time one of your ads is shown (impressions). As we said earlier it allows for better conversion rates as the consumer has been attracted to the advertisement through their search.
PPC is generally much more expensive than PPV though it depends on the competition for any given keyword which will determine the cost per click. As with most forms of advertising, the higher your budget, the more exposure you will get. Most people using PPV are looking for a way to increase sales and improve brand awareness through the use of pay-per-click advertising.
History of PPV Advertising
you already know what is PPV Advertising. PPV stands for Pay Per View so it’s no surprise that you have to pay for this service through your credit card or PayPal account. The first PPV advertising company was Goto.com which now redirects to the Go Daddy site. However, there is some debate as to who actually invented PPV advertising with many people saying that it was David Packard of HP fame himself.
Here are some milestones in the history of PPV advertising.
- 1999 Advertising.com implements pay-per-click campaigns on Yahoo! and MSN Search
- 2003 Advertising.com is sold to TMP Worldwide for $425 million
- 2005 ValueClick merges with Commission Junction, which has been using its own pay per click program since 1999
- 2009 Google offers pay-per-click advertising in the US and UK
- 2011 Facebook introduces ads for mobile users that can be clicked to download an app or visit a website
There are three types of PPV Advertising.
What is PPV Advertising type:
- PPC ( Pay Per Click) campaigns
- CPM ( Cost Per Mille aka cost per thousand impressions) Campaigns
- CPV ( Cost Per View Campaigns ) – This is the latest type of campaign which has become popular due to it’s ability to track conversions.
How does PPV Advertising work?
The basis for What is PPV Advertising is that you make a bid on keywords related to your site and then when someone searches on Google, Bing, or Yahoo they see your ad. The advertiser pays each time someone clicks on this ad (CPC). However, it’s very expensive to get people to click on your ads due to the high number of online advertisers that are bidding for keywords with a very low CPC value.
The best way around this is to bid on a CPM basis which means you pay each time your ad is shown with a set budget per day or month and then there is no need to worry about how many clicks your ad gets. It is based more on the amount of exposure your get for your keywords each day or month.
3 of the best PPV networks
What is PPV Advertising networks? There are 3 best known PPV networks include:
#1 Propel Media
Propel Media is one of the most popular PPV networks and offers the following features:
- Website Customizer – This allows you to change your banner, logo or format of your campaign quickly and easily. You can also track the performance of each individual ad.
- Ad Aggregator – Use several ads from different networks on one site for greater efficiency, plus monitor all campaigns in one place
- Salvage ad – If your target hits this mark, any additional traffic that comes to your site is shown one of these ads
#2 Media Traffic
Media Traffic which is another well-known PPV affiliate networkk. It offers the following features:
- Ad rotation – Control which ads are displayed most by automatically rotating through your campaigns and showing each one for a set period of time
- Ad grouping – Create groups of ads that can be shown simultaneously together to increase your advertising impact
#3 RTX Platform
RTX Platform is big for PPV/CPV advertising. Here are some of the features:
- Keyword bid management – This allows you to make profitable keyword bids in seconds and also use the program to split test different ads for each keyword
- Dynamic landing pages – Set up custom landing pages that match your ad and shows a relevant offer in the ad itself which increases click through rates
- Conversion tracking – Track the number of ad views, conversions and sales through your ads automatically
- Ad rotation – Automatic control of ad rotation to ensure that your best performing ad(s) are shown most often
- Mobile Traffic – Take advantage of mobile traffic by adding a small amount of code onto your website. This will auto-generate unique QR codes for every campaign
2 things to consider with a PPV offer
#1 Make sure the CPA allows PPV traffic
Many of the networks allow an advertiser to get a refund if the CPA is too low, but some don’t. Make sure you know what happens if your campaign isn’t profitable and find out if their is a possibility of getting a refund.
#2: Ensure there’s no minimum spend requirement
PPV advertising can be an expensive way to advertise if you don’t pay attention. Some networks require you to spend a minimum amount of money before they’ll let you run your campaign, which can be very pricey if you’re just starting out.
#3: Allowed geolocations
Many networks allow you to set up campaigns for specific countries, cities and even states. This allows you to target people in your area.
However, there are many cases where this isn’t allowed (for example: the UK, Germany and Singapore). Make sure you know who can see your ads before spending any money.
Benefits of PPV Ads
What is PPV Advertising’s benefits:
- More control over target audience – With traditional advertising you have no idea who is seeing and clicking on your ads and there is also a limit to how granular you can be with your targeting. With PPV advertising you know exactly who saw and clicked on your ad and therefore you can reach a very small target audience if needed. This is great for maximizing the return on your investment in PPV.
- Highly targeted campaign – You have complete control over the keywords to bid on and therefore you can target very specific markets to increase your ROI ( Return On Investment)
- Better conversion rates – As the ads are highly targeted it means that people who click on these ads are much closer to converting into customers or buyers for your products. This leads to higher conversion rates which in turn leads to more sales and a better ROI.
- Instant results – There are no delays in the process as you can set up Google Adwords campaigns, start them and immediately begin receiving returns on your investment.
- Different for everyone – With PPV advertising there are many different adverts to have so that you can compete with other advertisers but also be very specific about who you are targeting. This is great for making your brand more memorable.
What are some of the complaints about PPV Advertising?
There are really only two main complaints that most people have about PPV advertising and they are –
- It’s expensive – It is more expensive than other forms of marketing but it is the only way to reach a very specific audience with your product or service.
- There are cheaper alternatives – It’s true that there are other ways to advertise however they will not produce results quickly and you can’t be sure how much money you are spending on them because of the lack of control. However, it is possible to find cheaper alternatives if you willing to explore other options.
What is PPV Advertising networks?
What is PPV Advertising networks? The best PPV networks are Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, Bing Ads, Outbrain, MGID, etc.
There are many other good pay-per-click advertising networks available but the above-mentioned networks are the most predominant ones. They all have unique features and benefits useful for small business owners to promote their products and services. For example, if you are looking to promote your products or services on Facebook ads then it is better to choose the option of ‘Link Units’ because this will let you place banner ads on partner websites. On the other hand, if you are looking to advertise automotive services like car rentals and new cars sales, then Bing Ads is the best source for that. Google Adwords is the best source to drive traffic from search engines.
What Kind of Products and Services Can use PPV Promote?
Just about any type of product or service can be advertised by using PPV Advertising. This is because you are in complete control of who your target audience is meaning that you can advertise to anyone who is looking for what you offer, where they are and how often they search for it.
This means that the following products and services could benefit from PPV advertising –
- Real Estate
- Car dealerships
- Wine producers
- Tattoo parlors
- SEO Companies ( Search Engine Optimization) companies
- Web Design Companies. etc. etc. etc.
There are literally thousands of products and services that can benefit from using PPV advertising.
How much does PPV Advertising Cost?
It is difficult to give an accurate estimate because there are so many factors that could alter the cost of advertising however it is very much dependent on how much you are prepared to pay for every thousand impressions ( CPM) or clicks (CPC).
What is the future for PPV Advertising?
It is clear that PPV has a lot of potential for advertisers and this is only going to grow as organic reach on social media drops. This means that more people are going to look into alternative forms of advertising such as Google Adwords and Facebook Ads where they will be able to control who sees their ads and how much they pay per click.
This means that the popularity of PPV is only going to continue to grow as more people are willing to pay for advertising space because it delivers results much faster than traditional forms of marketing.
How to Launch your successful PPV Ads Campaign
What is PPV Advertising? It’s not just about creating an advert that people click on it’s also about how compelling your adverts are and the interest levels that they create in potential customers. It also depends on if someone actually takes you up on your offer once it’s been presented to them.
- A great ad with a good offer – The most important aspect of PPV advertising is the image and the copy that you use on your advert as this is what first attracts people to click on your ad and then later convert into customers or buyers for you products. It’s all about giving people a great reason to click on your ad as this is what makes them sign up and begin following your brand.
- A clear call to action – When someone has clicked on your ad it’s essential that they can see where you want them to go and what you expect them to do when they get there (CPC). You need to be as clear as possible with the language you use and also if there are any costs or time limits that may put off potential customers.
- Relevant landing pages – When someone has clicked on your ad it’s essential that they then land on a relevant page and not somewhere else so it is important to be very specific about this and also why they should stay on your website. You can even add some on page elements such as a video or small pop up that shows the benefits of buying from you and this is great for increasing conversions rates.
- Good copy – The way people talk to each other about your product via social media will be different to how it’s written in an advert. You have to be very careful with your spelling and grammar as well as being very clear about what it is that you are offering the potential customer.
- A good domain name – This sounds simple but having a catchy brandable domain name can also help boost click-through rates for your advertisements so this is something you should consider when setting up a PPV campaign.
- Comprehensive analytics – Having an insight into how your campaign works is very helpful in improving the content and targeting to ensure that you are getting the most from your advertising budget. Analytics will give you the knowledge of what works best for your market and who to target with future campaigns.
- Advanced strategies – There are now many different types of PPV advertising that you can use to help your campaign grow. You can advertise on chat rooms, social networks, mobile ads and even games consoles which are great if you are targeting specific demographics that use these services regularly.
- Accurate bidding – This is very important as it will depend on your maximum bid but also the level of competition in your market and also some Adwords tools can help you with this aspect. You want to ensure that you are bidding the lowest amount possible without significantly impacting on your profits.
- Mobile advertising – With mobile advertising there are now many different ways to advertise which is very important as more searches are now done via mobile devices. You have to be very targeted with the audience you are targeting so that people actually want to click on your ads.
- A well-known brand – If you have a well-known brand then it’s likely these adverts will get more clicks due to people recognizing and trusting the name. This doesn’t mean that other types of PPV advertising won’t work but you have to find the right audience for it.
- A good product – This might sound obvious but if you are looking to attract people via PPV advertising your product needs to be something that they actually want or need otherwise they will just ignore you. You have to create the desire in the potential customer so that they are willing to take the next step and purchase your product.
- Advertise on similar pages – After someone has visited your website you can then target them when they are browsing other sites with PPV ads which is a great way to get more conversions. This type of advertising is becoming much more popular so it’s definitely worth looking into.
Using PPV Advertising to grow your Business
What is PPV Advertising? PPV advertising is a great technique that can generate traffic for your website and help you to increase sales and profits. However, it does not mean that you start bidding for every relevant keyword and hope to win the auction. You should select a handful of keywords that can generate enough traffic without draining your budget. However, if you do not get what you want by paying $1 per click then try out less competitive keywords.