League of Legends is the most popular game in the world, but how many people actually play it? I mean, we all know that millions and millions of people play this game every day. But just how many are there exactly?
Well, I did some research and found out that LoL has over 100 million monthly active users! This means that more than 1/3rd of internet users around the globe plays this amazing MOBA at least once per month. The numbers get even crazier when you count daily active users.
Did you know that Riot Games’ flagship title has an average concurrent player base of 9 million players each day?! That’s a lot for one single video game! The number gets even higher if you look at weekly or yearly averages. Let me show you what I’m talking about…
- 1 How many people play league of legends?
- 2 A brief history on how it came to be
- 3 League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game
- 4 Why do people enjoy the game so much ?
- 5 Who created it and what were they thinking when they made this game?
- 6 How did League of Legends Rise in Popularity?
- 7 The Best League of Legends Esports Teams and Players
- 8 League of Legends Competitors
- 9 Did Streamers Influence LoL’s Playerbase?
- 10 League of Legends Available Platforms:
- 11 League of Legends player count 2021:
- 12 League of Legends Revenue:
- 13 League of Legends tournaments: latest LoL statistics
How many people play league of legends?
Riot Games, the developer and publisher of League of Legends (LoL), does not release official player numbers. However, we can estimate the number of active players by looking at concurrent players on particular servers. This is a very common estimation technique and also used in many other games like World of Warcraft (WoW). The most accurate way to estimate the number of players is to look at the money invested in server infrastructure.
Generally, League of Legends has more than 27 million active players every day, with peak times during European afternoon and US prime time.
A brief history on how it came to be
In 2009, the founders of Riot Games launched League of Legends. In 2010, they started to release new content and improved the game engine. 2011 brought a huge gaming event in Germany where LoL was showcased for the first time. This resulted in more than 15000 visitors coming to Cologne for this event.
In 2012, there were a lot of improvements done on League of Legends which made it one of the best free-to-play games out there. The game became available on Macs as well. Also, League of Legends Season One started with $5 million prize pool (which was won by Team Fnatic).
League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game
It is a 5 vs 5 game, where you try to destroy the enemy base. You can play against real people all over the world and even with bots if you cannot find any opponent.
Also, Riot Games introduced Dominion which is a faster and more dynamic version of League of Legends. However, it didn’t really become very popular, so most players play classic 5 vs 5 games.
Why do people enjoy the game so much ?
There are many reasons why people play League of Legends. First of all, it’s a free-to-play game with no monthly fees. You can play it on your Mac or PC and there are also Android and iOS apps that you can use to play the game on the go.
League of Legends is easy to learn but hard to master. You can play it with your friends, so it’s also a great social experience. Also, Riot Games are always adding new content to the game which means there are many things you can do in League of Legends.
There are currently 135 different champions to choose from and every week 10 of them get temporarily unlocked for free. So if you are not sure whether you like the game, you can simply download it and play with all champions for free.
League of Legends is constantly updated by Riot Games, so there are always new features added (like esports) which makes this game interesting to play even after many years.
Who created it and what were they thinking when they made this game?
League of Legends has been created by Riot Games. They are a small company which was founded in 2006 and is based in Los Angeles, California.
At first, it was just a few people working on League of Legends but now there are more than 2 000 employees all over the world (USA, UK, Germany etc.).
What were they thinking when they made this game? They wanted to make a game that would be very easy to learn but hard to master. Also, they wanted the map and the champions to be simple in design so that anyone could understand them without playing too much.
They planned on keeping League of Legends free-to-play with no monthly fees. This is the reason why you can download the game even if you do not have an active internet connection.
How did League of Legends Rise in Popularity?
League of Legends has become so popular because Riot Games constantly improve the game. They are very communicative with their players which is why they have a lot of fans who follow what’s going on with League of Legends.
Also, there are always new content added to the game which makes it more interesting for people to play even after all these years. Also, the esports scene around League of Legends keeps growing which brings new players into this game every day. So if you haven’t tried League of Legends yet, now it’s probably the best time to do that!
The Best League of Legends Esports Teams and Players
There are many esports teams playing League of Legends right now. The best known ones are Fnatic, SKT T1, Samsung White etc.
Fnatic’s League of Legends team is one of the most successful teams in esports history with several world championships under their belt. They have won seven European Championships and World Championships in 2011 and 2012.
SK Telecom T1 is another one of the most succesful LoL teams with three World Championship titles under their belt (2013, 2015 & 2016). So they are definitely a formidable opponent to play against!
Samsung White is currently the only team that has participated at Worlds four times consecutively since 2013 which means that they know all about those high-pressure! However, after some roster changes in 2016, they struggled a bit and were not able to defend their World Championship title.
The best players in League of Legends right now are Søren ‘Bjergsen’ Bjerg (from Splyce), Lee ‘Faker’ Sang-hyeok (from SK Telecom T1) and Bae ‘Bang’ Jun-sik (from SK Telecom T1). They are also some of the highest paid esports athletes!
League of Legends Competitors
League of Legends is currently one of the most popular games to play and that’s why it also has many competitors. Some other popular ones are DOTA 2, Overwatch and World of Warcraft.
DOTA 2 is a free-to-play multiplayer online battle arena video game developed by Valve Corporation. It was released in 2013 for Windows, OS X and Linux so it definitely can compete with League of Legends! It is played both professionally as well as casually which makes it very interesting for people who love playing esports since there are multiple tournaments all around the world where you can participate – even if you are just a beginner.
Overwatch is another very successful esports game right now. Blizzard Entertainment created this first person shooter game which was released on May 2016 for Windows, Playstation 4 and Xbox One. The game is played by gamers all around the world right now so if you are looking for a new esports game to play – this one might just be interesting for you!
World of Warcraft is another very famous multiplayer online role-playing game created by Blizzard Entertainment in 2004. Back then it was an instant success but recently there have been some competitors which made the number of people playing World of Warcraft decrease significantly. Still, if you are a fan of these types of games or love playing with friends – maybe this will be your cup of tea!
Did Streamers Influence LoL’s Playerbase?
Streamers have always been an influencer in the gaming industry. At one point, they were mostly influencing gamers to play games like League of Legends where you had to pay for some additional content or new levels.
However nowadays, streamers started creating videos and live streams about games that are entirely free and totally accessible to anyone who has a computer and internet connection (like Overwatch). That’s why we could very well say that the number of players for these types of games is growing bigger and bigger since it is becoming more popular among esports fans as well!
League of Legends Available Platforms:
League of Legends can be played on all usual platforms like Windows, OS X and Linux. So if you know how to download an application from the internet, there is no problem playing League of Legends! However, it might sometimes get a bit tricky so we would definitely advise you to watch some tutorials before you start playing – just in case!
This also means that League of Legends has been developed for computers so laptops cannot be used as a dedicated gaming device. That’s why a lot of gamers look for alternatives where they could play League of Legends on their laptop or notebook but unfortunately this isn’t really possible since it only runs on desktop computers.
It might also be possible to run League of Legends by using applications such as BlueStacks and Andy so maybe you should check these out as well if you really can’t play on your computer.
League of Legends player count 2021:
- In September 2021, there were more than 2 million concurrent League of Legends players (Source: Playercounter) That’s 1 in 7 gamers playing at any given moment! The multiplayer online role-playing game has been a hit among hardcore fans for years now with people who play only this title. In Q2’2021 over one million new users joined them which is almost as many CS:GO clients active during that quarter on Steam-and it continues to grow rapidly every day.
- Twitch Tracker states that League of Legends ranked #3 on Twitch in September 2021. This is quite impressive considering it surpassed games like CS:GO, Fortnite and Minecraft!
- The popularity of video games is not limited to the United States. League of Legends, CS:GO and Rocket League all have a majority player base that originates from countries outside America with more than 164 million people playing league in 2021 (Player counter). It makes sense then why these three titles show little variation when it comes down their favorite regions; according to recent statistics only 16% or less come from North American soil but this number changes dramatically for those who live within Europe–where Rocket Players make up over 50%.
- The League of Legends livestreaming numbers on Twitch are staggering. In August 2021, 138 million hours were watched – which is up from last year’s 174 when it topped May records for the previous twelve months. There have been two patches in January and maybe this has caused a change because those updates come with new skins/items to keep audiences happy coming back again.”
- The average number of League of Legends viewers on Twitch was 166,000 in September 2021. People love watching this game and the numbers speak for themselves: In April there were 5800 concurrent streams as well as 117 million hours watched by people all over social media!
League of Legends Revenue:
For 2020, it is expected that League of Legends will generate around 2 billion U.S dollars of worldwide revenue (The Street). That’s twice as more as Hearthstone which claimed #2 on our list this year with 1.4 billion U.S dollars of earnings! This title takes the cake when it comes down to the most profitable gaming apps.
League of Legends is a free-to-play app so it doesn’t have actual revenue numbers but the success of Riot Games says enough about its popularity! In 2016, 70% or 2 billion U.S dollars were earned from this title which increased to an impressive 3 billion in 2020 (Source: Statistica). This growth has definitely come with some costs, however! The game (and company) has had its fair share of controversy when it comes to labor rights and game mods.
League of Legends tournaments: latest LoL statistics
- League of Legends Championship, 10 million – 2017
- All-Star Event – 2017 – 23.30 million hours watched
- World Championship – 2016 – 43 million unique viewers for the final between SK Telecom T1 and Samsung Galaxy (Source: LoL Esports)
- League of Legends global player base 2021: 1.3 billion people playing league worldwide according to Super Data research center which also reports that more than 97% started playing this game in 2020 or later. So there’s no doubt that it will be 1.8 billion players by 2022! It is expected that League of Legends will grow to beyond 2 billion gamers around 2021 so keep an eye out for its app store ratings because it could definitely shoot up within our top 15 list next year.
- League of Legends just hit a huge player milestone! Riot games announced that 100 million people have played their favorite title which is only around 20 million less than World of Warcraft back in 2015. That’s pretty significant for a free-to-play app so congrats goes out to the developers for this awesome accomplishment!
League of Legends is the most-played video game in the world. With over 100 million active players each month, it’s no wonder that there are so many people playing this free online multiplayer battle arena game! If you or someone you know has yet to try out LoL for themselves, now is a great time to do so because they have released their newest champion Jinx who will be available until October 8th. It only takes 10 minutes to sign up and start playing on your computer or mobile device with just one click!