GIFs have been around for more than 30 years. Wild, right? As you can probably guess, there are billions of GIFs on the internet right now, just waiting to be sent in a message or shared to social media… maybe added to an email.
And, people love GIFs. More and more, consumers are using GIFs in their daily communications, both on social media and in messages. But why do we love GIFs so much?
For starters, GIFs let us easily react or share our emotions when the words just won’t come to us. But GIFs are also part of our (pop) culture. As such, they can create or strengthen relationships based on that shared culture.
Since GIFs are animated images, they can convey a lot of information faster than text or static images. Sure, you could type out “I’m having a great day!” But how will your friends know you’re having a “Brad Pitt happy dancing in Burn After Reading” great day?
It just hits different, doesn’t it?
GIFs can also give you additional insight into who the people creating and sharing them really are and what makes them tick.
For example, if someone is always sharing reaction GIFs from Broad City, it’s pretty safe to bet that they enjoy and relate to what happens in that show. From a marketing standpoint, that probably means that sports references aren’t going to hit home.
But enough words. Let’s dive into our 60 favorite GIFs that will change your life (or at least make your day a little better).
- 0.1 60 Best GIFs You Need to See:
- 0.2 Top 10 GIPHY GIFs for 2019
- 0.3 1. And I Oop by Jasmine Masters: 711.8M Views
- 0.4 2. Angry by Shameless: 555M views
- 0.5 3. Hi by Nick Jonas: 584.9M views
- 0.6 4. Happy Good Morning by Samm Henshaw: 282.3M views
- 0.7 5. Great Job by Bounce TV: 331.5M views
- 0.8 6. Happy Cheering by Bluesbear: 661.2M views
- 0.9 7. Keanu Reeves’ Thank You by Netflix: 477.4M views
- 0.10 8. I Love You Hearts by Mia Page: 350.8M views
- 0.11 9. No Way SMH by Desus & Mero: 385.3M views
- 0.12 10. Happy Excited Dance by Khalid: 270.7M views
- 1 Top 10 Tenor GIFs for 2019
- 1.1 11. Grrr from Lilo & Stitch
- 1.2 12. So Frustrated from Liar, Liar
- 1.3 13. Rain Sad from Lilo & Stitch
- 1.4 14. Minion Spitting Out Popcorn from Despicable Me
- 1.5 15. No Elf from Elf
- 1.6 16. Wow from Ted
- 1.7 17. Oh Snap from Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- 1.8 18. Confused Castle from Castle
- 1.9 19. SMH from Tyler Perry’s Medea
- 1.10 20. Creepy Smile from Toddlers & Tiaras
- 2 40 of Our Favorite GIFs
- 2.1 21. Homer Simpson Backing Away
- 2.2 22. Can’t Toddler Today
- 2.3 23. I Know You Did Not Just from Blackish
- 2.4 24. I’m Sorry, What?
- 2.5 25. Realizing the Obvious
- 2.6 26. Cotton Candy Girl
- 2.7 27. That’s Not It
- 2.8 28. Kombucha Girl
- 2.9 29. Destroyed
- 2.10 30. Think About It with Levar Burton
- 2.11 31. Spike Lee at the Oscars
- 2.12 32. Confused Level: Winona Ryder
- 2.13 33. Sad Doctor Who
- 2.14 34. Baby Chloe
- 2.15 35. The Oprah Shrug
- 2.16 36. Wow from Parks & Rec
- 2.17 37. Crying James Van Der Beek
- 2.18 38. Wrap It Up from Judge Judy
- 2.19 39. You Don’t Belong Here with Steve Buscemi
- 2.20 40. I’m Just Here for the Drama with Michael Jackson
- 2.21 41. Did You Just Come For Me? with Peter Alexander
- 2.22 42. This is Not Actually Fine from KC Green
- 2.23 43. Fabulous Kid Dancing
- 2.24 44. Trash Fail
- 2.25 45. Nervous from That’s So Raven
- 2.26 46. Eye Roll from Jessica Jones
- 2.27 47. Discomfort with Jay-Z
- 2.28 48. James Harden Eyeroll from NBA
- 2.29 50. Slow Zoom Support with Robert Redford
- 2.30 51. Sniffing Out Drama with Kim Kardashian
- 2.31 52. 50 Cent Driving
- 2.32 53. Dumpster Fire
- 2.33 54. Oh, I Don’t Like This with Britney Spears
- 2.34 55. And on That Note, Bye with Rihanna
- 2.35 56. Wiggle with Shaq and that Kitten
- 2.36 57. It’s Been a Day from That 70s Show
- 2.37 58. Shrug with Lizzo
- 2.38 59. Close to Snapping
- 2.39 60. Obama Out
- 2.40 Wrapping Up
60 Best GIFs You Need to See:
Need a quick way to convey your feelings? There’s a GIF for that! Here are our favorite GIFs for all occasions. Let’s start with the top 10 GIFs for 2019 on both GIPHY and Tenor.
Top 10 GIPHY GIFs for 2019
Let’s start with the 10 most used GIFs of 2019, according to GIPHY.
1. And I Oop by Jasmine Masters: 711.8M Views
Jasmine Masters from RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 7 topped the list of GIPHY’s most used GIFs of 2019 and it’s well-earned. Jasmine Masters is all of us who have been confronted with blatant stupidity throughout our day and require just a moment to process.
2. Angry by Shameless: 555M views
When you want to let someone know in no uncertain terms that you are not pleased.
3. Hi by Nick Jonas: 584.9M views
A simple “hello” from Nick Jonas to whomever you want to greet without saying a word.
4. Happy Good Morning by Samm Henshaw: 282.3M views
If you’re happy and you know it, share this GIF and everyone else will know, too.
5. Great Job by Bounce TV: 331.5M views
This thumbs up GIF can be genuine or sarcastic… and you don’t have to say which.
6. Happy Cheering by Bluesbear: 661.2M views
There’s no doubt that the cuteness that is this GIF is the reason it’s so popular.
7. Keanu Reeves’ Thank You by Netflix: 477.4M views
How is it that Keanu Reeves was in Always Be My Maybe for about five seconds and in that time gave us an entirely GIFable vibe?
8. I Love You Hearts by Mia Page: 350.8M views
When you want to tell that special someone you’re there for them.
9. No Way SMH by Desus & Mero: 385.3M views
Kid Mero shaking his head is 2019’s “nope crab” GIF.
10. Happy Excited Dance by Khalid: 270.7M views
This snippet from Khalid’s “Young, Dumb, and Broke” music video is the positive vibe everyone needs.
Top 10 Tenor GIFs for 2019
Here are the 10 most used GIFs of 2019, according to Tenor (Google).
11. Grrr from Lilo & Stitch
Who can’t relate to Stitch’s exasperation, tbh?
12. So Frustrated from Liar, Liar
Are you sensing a theme with 2019’s GIFs? We’ve all been to this level of frustration, haven’t we?
13. Rain Sad from Lilo & Stitch
Another Lilo & Stitch GIF? For use when you’re having the worst of bad days and want to let your friends know.
14. Minion Spitting Out Popcorn from Despicable Me
When you’re waiting for the drama and it delivers.
15. No Elf from Elf
You can almost hear this GIF.
16. Wow from Ted
Are you actually wowed or just pretending? Either way, this GIF will show it.
17. Oh Snap from Fresh Prince of Bel Air
When you’re shocked that it happened but they deserved it.
18. Confused Castle from Castle
Sure, this GIF applies when you have no argument for something, but it’s more likely to be used in response to something questionable.
19. SMH from Tyler Perry’s Medea
When you want to make it clear that you do not condone this behavior.
20. Creepy Smile from Toddlers & Tiaras
We all need a best friend who’s this excited to see us.
40 of Our Favorite GIFs
So, we’ve already covered 20 of the most popular GIFs on 2 of the most popular GIF platforms. What’s left? Plenty! Here are 40 of our favorite GIFs that you just need in your life.
21. Homer Simpson Backing Away
Found yourself in an awkward situation? This GIF helps you share your distress.
22. Can’t Toddler Today
Have you ever had one of those days when you have everything to do and it’s all just too much? Exactly that.
23. I Know You Did Not Just from Blackish
If this GIF had words, they might be “I feel personally attacked.”
24. I’m Sorry, What?
For those moments when you’re sitting there like, “Did I just hear what I think I heard?”
25. Realizing the Obvious
We’ve all had it happen. You’re minding your own business and suddenly you realize that pancakes are only called “pancakes” because they’re cakes that are made in a pan.
26. Cotton Candy Girl
When that sugar high hits…
27. That’s Not It
You know that feeling when someone says something you know isn’t going to age well? If that feeling were a GIF, this would be it.
28. Kombucha Girl
Is it good? Bad? Who knows. This GIF has become a wildly popular meme and it’s really no wonder.
No matter if you did the destroying or simply witnessed it happen, this GIF’s got you covered.
30. Think About It with Levar Burton
Can’t get anything past you, eh?
31. Spike Lee at the Oscars
Have you ever agreed with anything as emphatically as Spike Lee is in this GIF?
32. Confused Level: Winona Ryder
Sure, you’ve been confused before. We all have. But have you ever been Winona Ryder confused?
33. Sad Doctor Who
For those times when everything is terrible forever. Like, so bad you just stand in the rain, bad.
34. Baby Chloe
This GIF is versatile! Confused? Baby Chloe GIF. Entirely over it and everybody? Baby Chloe GIF.
35. The Oprah Shrug
When you’re not surprised and you want to make it abundantly clear, but low-key.
36. Wow from Parks & Rec
This is another beautifully diverse GIF. Excited? Happily surprised? Andy Dwyer has your emotional expression covered.
37. Crying James Van Der Beek
When you’re just as sad as Doctor Who in #33, but much less refined.
38. Wrap It Up from Judge Judy
Do you really need to tell folks that you just don’t have time for it? Judge Judy’s got you.
39. You Don’t Belong Here with Steve Buscemi
Are you trying really hard to act like you fit in or belong somewhere? Yeah, it probably feels like this.
40. I’m Just Here for the Drama with Michael Jackson
These popcorn GIFs are prolific. But, we’re pretty sure this is the one that started it all. Perfect for those moments when the comment thread just got real and you can’t wait to see where it goes.
41. Did You Just Come For Me? with Peter Alexander
Like “I Know You Did Not Just” from Blackish, but make it a middle-aged white reporter.
42. This is Not Actually Fine from KC Green
When the world is crumbling around you and you are certain that nothing is fine, never will be fine again, and maybe never was fine, this GIF created from KC Green’s comic Gunshow is the perfect response.
43. Fabulous Kid Dancing
If this GIF had a sound, it would probably be Jonathan Van Ness shouting “Get it, henny!” We’ve also seen this GIF used in comment threads with the word “THIS” on it to show support to the previous comment or original post.
44. Trash Fail
When you almost did something right. And, well, isn’t the effort enough?
45. Nervous from That’s So Raven
This is basically imposter syndrome in GIF form.
46. Eye Roll from Jessica Jones
Does a superhero like Jessica Jones get superhero-level frustrated? Because you can almost hear her eyes rolling in this GIF.
47. Discomfort with Jay-Z
This GIF is any introvert ever out among people.
48. James Harden Eyeroll from NBA
James Harden is all of us when someone asks just the wrong question or says just the wrong thing and you 👏 are 👏 not 👏 here 👏 for 👏 it 👏.
49. Nope Crab
Ah, yes. The original nope GIF. For those moments when you need to nope your way out of whatever is going on right now.
50. Slow Zoom Support with Robert Redford
When you want to show your support, but you’re also really dramatic.
51. Sniffing Out Drama with Kim Kardashian
This might be the best precursor to the popcorn GIF. You know that something might go down and you’re here for it if it does, but you don’t want to pop the corn for nothing.
52. 50 Cent Driving
You came, you saw, you lol’d.
53. Dumpster Fire
For those moments when the world is a dumpster fire, why not share a GIF of an actual dumpster fire?
The only thing worse? A traveling dumpster fire:
54. Oh, I Don’t Like This with Britney Spears
When you’re hearing something cringey, but you’re trying really hard not to hurt anybody’s feelings.
55. And on That Note, Bye with Rihanna
When someone says something so absurd that you can only roll up your window and roll away.
56. Wiggle with Shaq and that Kitten
Sure, you could use this GIF to show how excited you are, but do you ever really need a reason to watch this GIF?
57. It’s Been a Day from That 70s Show
When your day’s been so trying that you mix a double batch you don’t plan sharing.
58. Shrug with Lizzo
When someone compliments you and you can only be like, “Yes, that’s me.”
59. Close to Snapping
When you’re literally four, five seconds from wildin’.
60. Obama Out
Yes, it’s doctored, but who cares? This GIF is just right for conveying how fed up you are. With everything.
People love GIFs because they’re fun and entertaining. And using GIFs in your social media and content marketing can increase their effectiveness and engagement.
For instance, tweets that include GIFs are 34% more like to get retweeted than a plain text tweet. So, if you’re distributing content from your blog on social media, don’t just share the link with a blurb telling people what it’s about—include a GIF to help your post stand out!
Looking for more ways to boost engagement? Check out these content marketing tools that can make it happen.