Have you started planning your 2021 social media marketing strategy yet? Are you wondering if LinkedIn should be a part of your strategy? LinkedIn is not just a professional networking platform, it has now grown to become a place to find valuable content. Today’s marketers use it not only to build professional connections, but they also use it to look for content that helps them upgrade their marketing tactics. LinkedIn, therefore, should be a part of your marketing strategy.
If you are still not convinced, these 50 statistics will definitely motivate you to start using LinkedIn as a marketing platform.
- 1 LinkedIn Usage Statistics
- 1.1 1. There Are 660 Million Members on LinkedIn
- 1.2 2. Most LinkedIn Users Are in Europe
- 1.3 3. LinkedIn Traffic Distribution
- 1.4 4. LinkedIn Audience Reach
- 1.5 5. LinkedIn Can Accelerate Your Career
- 1.6 6. LinkedIn User Growth Continues among the Working Population
- 1.7 7. Advertisers Can Reach More Men than Women on LinkedIn
- 1.8 8. LinkedIn is a Great Place to Find Decision Makers
- 1.9 9. 55% of Decision-Makers Use LinkedIn Content to Vet Organisations
- 1.10 10. LinkedIn Offers 9 Billion Content Impressions
- 1.11 11. LinkedIn Goes Beyond Job Hunting and Listings
- 1.12 12. LinkedIn Is a Business-Oriented Social Site
- 1.13 13. Average Time Spent on LinkedIn
- 1.14 14. LinkedIn Traffic Sources
- 1.15 15. 1.26% of LinkedIn Traffic is from Social platforms
- 1.16 16. 90% of LinkedIn Users Have a Facebook Account
- 1.17 17. Mobile Users Constitute Over Half of LinkedIn Traffic
- 1.18 18. LinkedIn is a Great Recruitment Tool
- 1.19 19. LinkedIn Informs Career Decisions
- 1.20 20. LinkedIn SlideShare Has over 80 Million Users
- 1.21 21. When Should You Post on LinkedIn?
- 2 LinkedIn Demographics
- 2.1 22. US LinkedIn Usage by Demographic
- 2.2 23. Global LinkedIn Demographics by Age
- 2.3 24. Global LinkedIn Demographics by Gender
- 2.4 25. US LinkedIn Demographics by Urbanity
- 2.5 26. US LinkedIn Demographics by Household Income
- 2.6 27. US LinkedIn Demographics by Employment Type
- 2.7 28. US LinkedIn Demographics by Race
- 2.8 29. LinkedIn Demographics by Companies
- 2.9 30. Distribution of the LinkedIn App Users in the US by Frequency
- 3 LinkedIn Marketing Statistics
- 3.1 31. B2B Marketers Consider LinkedIn Effective for Lead Generation
- 3.2 32. LinkedIn is the Preferred Content Distribution Channel for B2B Marketers
- 3.3 33. LinkedIn is the Number One Choice for Professional Content
- 3.4 34. B2B Blogs and Websites Receive Most of Their Social Media Traffic from LinkedIn
- 3.5 35. Get 2X Buying Power from the LinkedIn Audience
- 3.6 36. LinkedIn is a Primary Market Growth Driver
- 3.7 37. LinkedIn Sales Navigator Leads to a +7% Higher Win Rate When Closing Deals
- 3.8 38. LinkedIn is the Most Preferred Digital Marketing Channel for B2B Marketers
- 3.9 39. LinkedIn is the Top Choice for B2B Organic and Paid Content Marketing
- 3.10 40. Long-Form Content Performs Well on LinkedIn
- 3.11 41. More Post Likes Lead to More Engagement
- 3.12 42. B2B Marketers Use LinkedIn to Generate Revenue
- 3.13 43. LinkedIn is a Great Channel for Sales
- 3.14 44. LinkedIn Contributes a Lot to the Buyer’s Journey
- 3.15 45. Posting on LinkedIn Increases Engagement
- 3.16 46. Including Images in LinkedIn Posts Increases Engagement
- 3.17 47. LinkedIn Offers a 10%-25% Response Rate for InMail
- 3.18 48. Top 10 Topics on LinkedIn
- 3.19 49. LinkedIn Videos Are Effective
- 3.20 50. Melinda Gates is the 2019 Top Influencer on LinkedIn
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
50 of the Most Important LinkedIn Stats for 2021:
LinkedIn Usage Statistics
1. There Are 660 Million Members on LinkedIn
660 million users are on the professional network in more than 200 countries. The platform is also home to over 30 million companies. According to LinkedIn, their growth rate is at two new members joining per second.
2. Most LinkedIn Users Are in Europe
Among the 660 million LinkedIn members, Europe has over 206 million users. The United States has over 167 million, while the remaining members are from other countries and territories. The platform is available in 24 languages.
3. LinkedIn Traffic Distribution
LinkedIn gets the most traffic, about 32.01%, from the US. The United Kingdom follows at 7.22% and India at 5.58%.
4. LinkedIn Audience Reach
The highest LinkedIn audience ad reach by country is American Samoa at 98%. Bermuda follows at 95% and Iceland at 89%.
5. LinkedIn Can Accelerate Your Career
Once you join LinkedIn, each connection made introduces you to an average of 400 new people. You also get access to more than 100 new companies looking for your talent or skills and connections to 500+ jobs, on average.
6. LinkedIn User Growth Continues among the Working Population
Your brand has a better chance of reaching and connecting with working professionals on LinkedIn. Advertisers can now reach more than 600 million users on LinkedIn.
7. Advertisers Can Reach More Men than Women on LinkedIn
Advertisers have a slightly higher chance of reaching more men than women on LinkedIn. The Ad audience distribution is 56% male and 44% female.
8. LinkedIn is a Great Place to Find Decision Makers
As of 2019, the platform had 90 million senior-level influencers. Decision-makers were at 63 million and opinion leaders at 17 million.
The platform allows you to reach and engage your prospects at the right time and in the right context. You can easily find customers through searching by either their name, position, or company. LinkedIn also suggests other potential customers that you can target.
9. 55% of Decision-Makers Use LinkedIn Content to Vet Organisations
Post engaging and informative content on LinkedIn. 55% of decision-makers use this content to determine which organisation to work with. 1 in 5 investors says it’s the best platform when you want to learn about a topic.
10. LinkedIn Offers 9 Billion Content Impressions
Use LinkedIn to find and share content with other industry experts. Catch up with industry news, get expert advice, learn, gain insights, and get recommendations.
11. LinkedIn Goes Beyond Job Hunting and Listings
Posting content on the platform helps you generate 15X more impressions on general content. It has a professional and more functional purpose. Empowering your employees to share your content leads to better results as you get 2X higher engagement.
Letting them share your posts leverages their networks to build connections to your brand. It can also help increase engagement and reach. Your company begins attracting top talent and selling more. Salespeople who share content on LinkedIn have a 45% more chances to increase their sales.
12. LinkedIn Is a Business-Oriented Social Site
LinkedIn is the number one platform for Fortune 500 companies according to research by the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. They found that 98% of the Fortune 500 companies use LinkedIn to tell their stories, recruit, and network.
13. Average Time Spent on LinkedIn
According to SimilarWeb, LinkedIn received a total of 844.11 million visits from July 2019 to December 2019. The average LinkedIn user spent 6 minutes and 55 seconds on the platform.
14. LinkedIn Traffic Sources
LinkedIn gets 69.98% direct traffic and 23.70% from search. They get 99.51% traffic from organic search.
15. 1.26% of LinkedIn Traffic is from Social platforms
LinkedIn gets the most social media traffic from Facebook at 35.45%. Other social sites direct traffic to LinkedIn at 21.83% (YouTube), 15.90% (SlideShare), and 12.36% (Twitter).
16. 90% of LinkedIn Users Have a Facebook Account
Pew Research found that most people have multiple social media accounts. 90% of LinkedIn users, for example, use Facebook. 94% use YouTube, while 57% use Instagram.
If your audience is on LinkedIn, then they most likely are on these other sites as well. However, your social media strategy should only include platforms where your audience is frequently active.
17. Mobile Users Constitute Over Half of LinkedIn Traffic
57% of LinkedIn users access the platform from their mobile devices. You should, therefore, optimise your content on the platform for mobile. Ensure that your images and videos are also optimised and can open without having to leave the platform.
18. LinkedIn is a Great Recruitment Tool
There are more than 190 million US workers with profiles on LinkedIn. Thirty thousand companies use it to recruit and post over 3 million jobs every month. LinkedIn also allows its members to select from over 50,000 skills to showcase what they can do.
19. LinkedIn Informs Career Decisions
75% of people who change jobs use LinkedIn to inform this decision.
If you get an employee through LinkedIn, then they are 40% less likely to leave within the first six months.
LinkedIn SlideShare makes it easy for professionals on LinkedIn to share information easily. They can find content on different topics, share insights, and learn. SlideShare currently has over 18 million uploads in over 40 categories.
As a marketer, you can use this platform to share valuable content. You can repurpose your old content or create fresh content to share with your followers. SlideShare content is also discoverable on search, so you increase your chances of getting your content read.
21. When Should You Post on LinkedIn?
CoSchedule found that the best time to reach people on LinkedIn is when your target audience is on a break during a workday. Those in B2C should post around noon while B2B should post at 8 am, 10 am to noon, and at 6 pm. The best day to post on LinkedIn is on Wednesday.
22. US LinkedIn Usage by Demographic
Pew Research found that 27% of adults in the US use LinkedIn.
23. Global LinkedIn Demographics by Age
The largest age group using LinkedIn worldwide is adults aged between 25 – 34 at 60%. The 18 to 24 age group follows at 21%.
24. Global LinkedIn Demographics by Gender
A Statista survey of global LinkedIn audiences by gender found that as of 2019, 57% of LinkedIn audiences were males while 43% were females.
25. US LinkedIn Demographics by Urbanity
Communications agency, We are Flint, sorted the number of LinkedIn users by urbanity and found that 44% of internet users living in urban areas use LinkedIn. Those living in rural areas were at 27%.
26. US LinkedIn Demographics by Household Income
When sorted by income, the highest number of United States LinkedIn users are those with an income of $100k and more at 60%. Those with a household income of between $80k to $100k follow at 50%.
27. US LinkedIn Demographics by Employment Type
Edison Research found that 72% of full-time employees in the US use LinkedIn compared to 10% of those employed part-time. Students were at 5% while other users were at 13%.
28. US LinkedIn Demographics by Race
Edison also found that 64% of whites in the US use LinkedIn more than 16% of Hispanics. African Americans were at 6% while others were at 14%.
29. LinkedIn Demographics by Companies
LinkedIn has 30 million company profiles on the platform. The platform is popular among both job seekers and companies. However, some of these company profiles are as a result of LinkedIn automatically creating company pages. They do this when a member adds an organisation not on LinkedIn as part of their experience on their profile.
30. Distribution of the LinkedIn App Users in the US by Frequency
Only 3.7% of LinkedIn app users in the US are heavy users. They access the app two or three times a month. 49.6% are inactive users.
LinkedIn Marketing Statistics
31. B2B Marketers Consider LinkedIn Effective for Lead Generation
B2B marketers use LinkedIn to forge relationships with professionals in their target market. You can reach quality leads for your business and grow your professional network. It also becomes easy to engage them with valuable content.
32. LinkedIn is the Preferred Content Distribution Channel for B2B Marketers
For 94% of B2B marketers, LinkedIn is the first channel they use when they want to distribute content to various social media sites.
33. LinkedIn is the Number One Choice for Professional Content
91% of marketers use LinkedIn as the number one platform when they want to access professionally relevant content.
34. B2B Blogs and Websites Receive Most of Their Social Media Traffic from LinkedIn
B2B blogs and websites get 90% of their social traffic from Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. And, LinkedIn drives half of this traffic.
35. Get 2X Buying Power from the LinkedIn Audience
LinkedIn offers quality leads as 4 out of 5 members on the platform are in charge of making business decisions. Compared to the average web audience, LinkedIn users have 2X buying power.
36. LinkedIn is a Primary Market Growth Driver
Approximately a fifth of the B2B digital ad spending in the US goes to LinkedIn, according to eMarketer. The platform also has a mobile market share that’s on par with that of desktop. It’s, therefore, a great platform to reach mobile buyers.
The LinkedIn sales navigator helps marketers target the right buyers, personalise their outreach, and understand key insights. It helps them get close to the right people by finding the right leads. Marketers who use it get +18% more pipeline when finding customers. They also get a +7% higher win rate when closing deals.
38. LinkedIn is the Most Preferred Digital Marketing Channel for B2B Marketers
LinkedIn is the leading channel for B2B marketers’ social media efforts. 89% of marketers use LinkedIn, followed by Twitter at 86%, and Facebook at 82%.
39. LinkedIn is the Top Choice for B2B Organic and Paid Content Marketing
B2B marketers prefer LinkedIn for their organic content marketing. Most of them also consider LinkedIn as the platform with the best content marketing results.
40. Long-Form Content Performs Well on LinkedIn
OkDork found that the longer your posts are on LinkedIn, the better the results. Posts with word counts between 1900 and 2000 words performed better and got more engagement.
41. More Post Likes Lead to More Engagement
OkDork also found a correlation between the number of views and other LinkedIn metrics. According to the correlation data, more views equal more likes, shares, and comments.
42. B2B Marketers Use LinkedIn to Generate Revenue
B2B marketers have seen revenue increases by using LinkedIn. 43% attributed their sales to LinkedIn, Facebook followed at 24%, and Twitter at 20%.
43. LinkedIn is a Great Channel for Sales
HubSpot found that apart from telephone and email, LinkedIn is the next best channel for sales representatives who want to connect with prospects.
44. LinkedIn Contributes a Lot to the Buyer’s Journey
According to Demandbase, social media, peer reviews, and ads influence a buyer’s decision-making journey. 52% of those surveyed said that LinkedIn had the biggest impact during research. They use it to browse existing discussions on products and ask for recommendations. They also use it to connect with individual leaders to get their opinion on products.
45. Posting on LinkedIn Increases Engagement
Use LinkedIn to post content since organisations that post weekly on LinkedIn can increase engagement by 2X. Reshare posts when others mention your organisation on the platform to drive more engagement. You should also use hashtags to reach a wider audience.
46. Including Images in LinkedIn Posts Increases Engagement
Using images and videos in your LinkedIn posts increases engagement too. Videos can get 5X more engagement on your content, while live videos can get you 24X more engagement.
47. LinkedIn Offers a 10%-25% Response Rate for InMail
According to LinkedIn, senders get a 300% response rate from InMails compared to other email or messaging platforms. You have a 10%-25% response chance if you send messages to your prospects.
InMail offers exclusivity and the prospect can click on your profile to learn more about you. They can also learn about your products, solutions, connections, and recommendations.
48. Top 10 Topics on LinkedIn
The last quarter of 2019 saw Technology top the list of the top 10 topics engaging members on the platform. According to LinkedIn, the reason technology topped the list could be because business and their managers consider grappling with technology’s pace, a major priority.
49. LinkedIn Videos Are Effective
Wyzowl found that 38% of marketers post video content on LinkedIn. 75% of those who used video on the platform found it effective.
50. Melinda Gates is the 2019 Top Influencer on LinkedIn
LinkedIn compiled a list of their 2019 top influencers, depending on the engagement they get on their content (comments, shares, and likes). They also considered follower growth, quality of content, and diversity as parameters. The top 3 influencers included Melinda Gates, Adam Grant, and Sara Blakely.
These LinkedIn statistics can help you understand the platform, and how most marketers use it. The insights can help you plan an effective LinkedIn marketing strategy. If you are yet to start using it, now is the time. Your competitors are on it and you need to be where your target audience and clients spend their time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is LinkedIn popular?
LinkedIn is very popular. It boasts about 660 million users in more than 200 countries. In addition to these individual users, there are also more than 30 million companies that have a profile on LinkedIn. What is even more impressive is that according to LinkedIn, every second about two new members sign up to the platform.
Can you use LinkedIn for recruitment?
LinkedIn is an excellent recruitment tool. There are about 30,000 companies that use the platform to recruit and more than 3 million jobs are posted on a monthly basis. What also makes it a great tool for recruitment is that LinkedIn lets its members pick from more than 50,000 skills to showcase what they can do.
When is the best time to post on LinkedIn?
According to CoSchedule, the best time to reach people on LinkedIn is when your target audience is enjoying a break during a workday. For example, businesses in the B2C industry should post around noon, while those in B2B can also post at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. in addition to noon. With regards to the best day of the week to post on this platform, CoSchedule found that posting on Wednesdays can deliver better results.
How long should your post on LinkedIn be?
The posts that perform the best on LinkedIn and get more engagement are between 1900 and 2000 words long. You can also increase engagement further by including images and videos in your LinkedIn posts. In fact, videos can get you five times more engagement, while live videos are even more effective.
Is InMail effective?
According to LinkedIn, senders can get a 300% response rate from InMails compared to other email or messaging platforms. If you send messages to your prospects, you have a response chance of 10-25%.