For brands, social media offers an abundance of opportunities. Entrepreneurs and marketers are leveraging it to create brand awareness and generate leads. They also use it to gather data about audiences and reach them effectively. In fact, most marketing strategies revolve around social media today.
Marketing strategies that are backed by relevant statistics inspire trust. They can secure stakeholder buy-in more easily. It is also easier to budget and forecast social media marketing efforts if you have numbers to guide you.
If you’re an influencer or agency relying heavily on social media, you’ll need to know the latest usage trends on various social networks. Using this data, you can plan effective outreach and marketing programs.
But it can be a pain to search for the right data. To make your life easier, we have collated 40 essential social media statistics from verified sources. Check them out.
- 1 General Social Media Usage Statistics
- 2 Social Media Marketing Statistics
- 3 Social Media Users’ Behaviour and Experience Statistics
- 4 Facebook Statistics
- 5 Instagram Statistics
- 6 Twitter Statistics
- 7 LinkedIn Statistics
40 Essential Social Media Statistics for 2021:
Here are the most important social media statistics you need to know in 2020.
General Social Media Usage Statistics
- Total active social media users: 3.484 billion (We Are Social)
- Daily time spent: People spend 2 hours and 23 minutes daily on social media browsing and messaging (GlobalWebIndex). Additionally, 98.55% of people use at least four social media channels daily (GoodFirms).
- Top social media networks: Facebook (95%), Twitter (84%), Instagram (74%), LinkedIn (62%), and YouTube (61%) (Hootsuite)
Social Media Marketing Statistics
- Social media marketing goals: According to the same Hootsuite study, 90% of brands want to build brand awareness through social media. 77% of them use it to maintain brand reputation, while 71% of them use it for building and managing an engaged community.
61% use it to increase conversions and 50% of them use it to gain customer or market insights.
- Favourite channels for marketing: B2B organisations prefer LinkedIn (86%) and B2C companies choose to use Facebook (98%) for social media marketing. (Hootsuite)
- Top marketing content: Videos are the #1 branded content used by marketers. Nearly 93% of marketers say that they’ve landed a customer thanks to videos on social media. Additionally, 63% of them say that it generates the best ROI on social media too. (Animoto)
- Challenges in social media marketing: 58% of businesses find it challenging to measure the ROI of their social media marketing efforts. The other challenges include lack of time (56%), lack of budget (51%), and staying up-to-date on social trends (50%). (Hootsuite)
Social Media Users’ Behaviour and Experience Statistics
- Impact of social media on buying decisions: 76% of American consumers purchased a product after seeing a brand’s social post. (Curalate)
Millennials are more likely to buy a product online (52%) than in stores (48%). 71% of Baby Boomers, on the other hand, prefer to shop in stores. (Bazaarvoice)
- Social trust: 39% of customers only trust brands if they have interacted with them on social platforms. (Edelman)
- Risk of negative customer experiences: 17% of customers will walk away from a brand they love if they have even a single bad experience with it. On the other hand, 59% of them will abandon it after several bad experiences. (PwC)
- Essentials of positive user experiences: 80% of American customers say speed, convenience, knowledgeable help, and friendly service are must-haves for an experience to be termed “positive.” (PwC)
Now let’s take a closer look at the social media statistics for Facebook, specifically.
General Usage Statistics
- Facebook has over 2 billion monthly active users and more than 140 million businesses. (Facebook)
- More than 100 billion messages and 1 billion stories are shared on Facebook daily. (Facebook)
- The maximum number of Facebook users live in India (269 million), followed by the United States (183 million), Indonesia (123 million), and Brazil (120 million). (Statista)
- Male users between 25 and 34 years of age constitute the largest proportion (19%) of Facebook users. The next largest user base is made up of male users in the 18-24 years age bracket. (Statista)
- 96% of users access Facebook via mobile devices. (Statista)
- 88% of personal account holders use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends, 33% to get entertainment, 23% to get news, and 17% to follow brands. (Statista)
Facebook Statistics for Businesses/Marketers
- 87.1% of businesses with over 100 employees will use Facebook for marketing in 2020. (eMarketer)
- The average price per ad decreased by 4% and ad impressions increased by 33% in Q2 of 2019. (Facebook)
- Facebook posts have an average engagement rate of 3.8% and an organic reach of 6%. (Hootsuite)
- Facebook users find video content to be the most captivating. Hence, marketers use videos and visuals most extensively on Facebook and its subsidiary, Instagram. Additionally, 20% of the video content on Facebook is live broadcasts. (eMarketer, Facebook)
- 51% of Facebook users say they unfollow brands if they post irritating content and 27% say they flag the brand or page as spam or report and block it. (Smart Insights)
Now that we understand more about Facebook, let’s take a closer look at the stats for Instagram.
General Usage Statistics
- Instagram has over one billion monthly active users and 500 million daily Story users. (Instagram)
- More than half of Instagram users are in the 18-34 year old age bracket. It is the second most popular platform among teens after Snapchat. (Statista)
- The top five countries in terms of Instagram usage are USA, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Russia. (Statista)
- 77% of people use Instagram for viewing photos, 51% for watching videos, 45% for sharing content, 23% for networking, and 11% for finding/shopping for products. (eMarketer)
- How-to tutorials are the most watched videos on Instagram (80%). (Wibbitz)
Instagram Statistics for Businesses/Marketers
- Over 200 million users visit at least one business profile daily. (Instagram)
- 60% of people say they discover new products on Instagram. (Instagram)
- One-third of the most-viewed Stories on Instagram are from businesses. (Instagram)
- By advertising on Instagram, businesses can reach 57 million youths (aged 13-17 years). (Hootsuite)
Instagram Influencer Marketing Statistics
- 69% of digital marketers plan to invest in Instagram for influencer marketing. (eMarketer)
- Brands are more than willing to work with micro and nano-influencers. The main reasons are cost-effectiveness (56%), connections with their audiences (55%), authentic content (39%), better targeted messaging (38%), and long-term loyalty (9%). (eMarketer)
- On average, nano-influencers charge $114 for a video post, $100 for an image, and $43 for a Story. The corresponding rates for power influencers are $775, $507, and $210. (eMarketer)
- 14% of the influencer marketing money spent in the US and Canada was wasted on fake followers in 2018. (eMarketer)
Now that we’ve covered the stats for Facebook and Instagram, let’s take a closer look at Twitter.
General Usage Statistics
- Twitter has 330 million monthly active users. 134 million users access Twitter daily. (Twitter)
- 14.6% of Twitter users are in America. (Statista)
- 71% of American Twitter users access Twitter for news. (Pew Research Center)
- Unlike Facebook and Instagram, the median Twitter user doesn’t post in bulk. Two tweets per day is the average. (Pew Research Center)
Twitter Statistics for Businesses/Marketers
- 47% of Twitter users prefer brands that are culturally engaged. (Magna)
- Regarding purchase decisions, Twitter users are governed by these factors: prices and benefits, brand reputation, industry ratings, authenticity, and social involvement. Support for social issues is the top-ranked factor. (Magna)
- Tweets posted between noon and 10 pm (local time) garner maximum engagement. 55% more engagement is received by tweets containing GIFs. (Twitter)
Last but not least, let’s take a closer look at the LinkedIn stats you should know this year.
General Usage Statistics
- LinkedIn has more than 660 million members from over 200 countries. Out of those, 30 million are companies and 90K are schools. (LinkedIn)
- Every second, two or more new members sign up for LinkedIn. (LinkedIn)
- 57% of LinkedIn users are male and 43% are females. Globally, 38% of users are 25-34 years old. (Statista, Hootsuite)
- There are over 165 million members on LinkedIn from the US. India has the second-largest user base on the platform with over 62 million members. (LinkedIn)
- Nearly 70% of members on LinkedIn are from outside the US. (LinkedIn)
- LinkedIn has over 20 million open jobs on LinkedIn Jobs. (LinkedIn)
LinkedIn Statistics for Businesses/Marketers
- 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content. (LinkedIn)
- It is considered the most effective B2B lead generation channel by 80% of marketers. (LinkedIn)
- Visual content works on LinkedIn too. LinkedIn’s SlideShare has a loyal fanbase. They add 400,000 content pieces to SlideShare in a month. On desktop alone, daily 4 million users view content published on SlideShare. (LinkedIn)
- LinkedIn InMails can increase your response rate by 300%. (LinkedIn)
Social media is always evolving. Due to the vast audience that you can market your products to, new players keep entering this space.
To ensure that you stay ahead of your competition, you must remain updated with the latest statistics. You can use the statistics mentioned above to channelise your social media marketing efforts and grow your brand online. Start fortifying your presence online today.