With 500 million monthly active users, TikTok is one of the most popular platforms on social media. It also has an astounding growth rate which means your brand can get enhanced visibility and penetration by marketing on the platform
But becoming TikTok-famous is easier said than done. The competition is stiff and it’s easy for your content to get lost in the ocean of content uploaded daily on the platform. This is where hashtags can come in handy. Hashtags help people learn about the context of your posts. If you use the right hashtags, your posts will show up in relevant hashtag search results. Once your posts become more visible, your likes and followers are bound to multiply.
If you want to get a list of trending hashtags for 2021 or know the exact process of creating a unique hashtag, this post is for you. Before we begin our countdown of popular hashtags, we will explain how to generate creative and unique hashtags. This is important because jaded and overused hashtags lose authority over time.
The Most Popular TikTok Hashtags by Country Today
- 0.1 Trending TikTok Hashtags:
- 0.2 How to Create or Find a Great Hashtag
- 0.3 1. Analyze Hashtags Used in Content in Your Niche
- 0.4 2. Check Out the Hashtags Your Competitors Are Using
- 0.5 3. Create Your Own Hashtag
- 0.6 List of Trending TikTok Hashtags – 2021
- 1 General TikTok Hashtags
- 2 Most Popular TikTok Hashtags
- 3 Hashtags for Educational Content
- 4 Hashtags for Funny Content
- 5 Hashtags for Friendship-Related Content
- 6 Hashtags for Health-Related Content
- 7 Hashtags for Food-Related Content
- 8 Hashtags for Dance-Related Content
- 9 Hashtags for Motivational Content
- 10 Hashtags for Beauty-Related Content
- 11 Hashtags for Craft-Related Content
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
How to Create or Find a Great Hashtag
Hashtags play a critical role in TikTok and other social networks. They can help you identify your competitors, amplify your content’s reach, and get more followers. Now, let’s talk about finding and creating new hashtags.
The simplest way to search for hashtags is to use our Tiktok Hashtag Generator tool.
If you’re more hands on, follow the steps below to get your hands on the perfect hashtag:
You will have to filter content by domain or interests that are relevant to you. Then, get to the bottom of the hashtags that those posts have used. While browsing through the platform, keep a look out for hashtags used in posts that align with your interests.
The hashtags being used by your competitors may be effective for your content as well. Follow your competitors and check out the authority of the hashtags they are using.
3. Create Your Own Hashtag
Popular hashtags are good for grabbing eyeballs but custom hashtags can boost your TikTok marketing and personal branding.
You can create marketing campaigns around the hashtag and encourage your followers/customers to use the hashtag to their posts. In this way, you can earn loads of user-generated content that can work as social proof.
Tips to help you create your own hashtags:
- Hashtags should align with your campaign, content, challenge, or whatever it is that you are posting.
- Don’t create too many hashtags. Focus on crafting one or two great hashtags.
- Keep your hashtag simple, memorable, and easy to spell.
- Don’t include special characters or punctuation marks in your hashtags which make them hard to remember. Not too many people will take the time to copy-paste.
- Check out the hashtags you have created on other social platforms. If they are viral there, it’s better to ditch them and create a new hashtag.
Now, without much ado, let’s take a look at the best hashtags that can get you likes and followers in 2021.
First, we identified popular content categories on TikTok. Then, we grouped hashtags into relevant categories so that you can jump to the section that interests you.
After you zero down on the hashtags that you want to use, follow these best practices to get the best out of your hashtags:
- Don’t stuff too many hashtags in your posts. 100 characters is the limit set by TikTok for captions, which includes hashtags and spaces as well.
- Post your hashtagged content at optimal times to ensure maximum visibility. After evaluating the performance of 100,000 posts from all over the world, we’ve compiled the chart below to help you figure out the best posting times for TikTok.
We noticed that two factors impact the time of posting on TikTok:
1. Audience Location
TikTok is used all over the world. Time zones govern how well your content will be received in a particular area. For instance, if your followers are mainly located in Thailand, you will need to post at a time when Thai TikTokers are most active on the platform.
TikTok lets you create a Pro account for free, which offers analytics about your followers. You can access data like gender split and location demographics.
2. Audience Awake Time
Once you know where your audience is located, find out the times when they are up and running. This is a little tricky.
For example, if your audience is split between the UK and Australia, there’s a time gap of approximately 9 hours between these two zones. You need to schedule your content in such a way that you can reach audiences in both countries.
Unfortunately, TikTok doesn’t have a built-in scheduling feature. However, you can use social media posting and scheduling tools that line up your content in advance and post them automatically at the right time.
- Get the right mix of hashtags. Mix popular hashtags with lesser-known hashtags to get the best of both worlds. Popular hashtags have a large search volume but also high competition. You can hope to get noticed in narrow niched hashtags that have less competition.
Once you get good engagement in narrow audience segments, your ranking will automatically rise in popular hashtags.
- Content hashtags can help your SEO efforts. People use product-specific keywords to search for related content on social platforms. If your hashtags contain the right keywords, your content’s discoverability will improve.
Content hashtags may be lacking in virality and creativity like branded or custom tags, but they can improve your content’s search rankings.
You can opt for product hashtags like #shoes or #lipbalm that are relevant to your niche and content.
Occasion-specific hashtags like #blackfriday and #thanksgiving are also a great choice. Don’t forget to pair them with custom and branded tags.
- Hashtag challenges are a fun way to make your hashtags more popular.
Think of an innovative challenge and create a hashtag for it. Invite people to upload videos and content and use your custom hashtag in the captions. To earn more followers, ask participants to tag interested friends and followers.
Create urgency by including a time clause in the challenge and offer attractive rewards for the winners.
You can also collaborate with TikTok influencers who can help make your challenge viral.
Take a cue from Guess. Their #inmydenim challenge was a big hit among denim lovers. The jeans brand invited TikTokers to post their favourite denim looks and use the #inmydenim hashtag in their posts.
@operamericanoGuess who’s feeling confident 😘 @guess ##inmydenim ##sponsored ##makeeverysecondcount ##fashion ##model
♬ #inmydenim I’m a Mess – Bebe Rexha
Guess teamed up with influencers Chriss Kerr Rio and Sharla May of the famed OurFire to spread the word about their challenge.
@ourfireDon’t you wish getting ready was this easy? 😂❤️🔥 ##inmydenim ##sponsored @guess♬ #inmydenim I’m a Mess – Bebe Rexha
The hashtag challenge helped Guess make inroads in the millennial market. Though the challenge was started in 2018, it continues to garner views and engagement on the platform. The hashtag became hugely popular all over social media.
All in all, investing time and effort in creating, curating, and marketing hashtags can give exponential returns. On a competition-ridden platform like TikTok, hashtags can make your content shine which can earn you more followers and likes.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this article, we have looked at 120+ trending TikTok Hashtags. We have also included a tool that shows the most popular TikTok hashtags by country today. At the time of writing, the 20 most popular hashtags on TikTok were:
Of course, these hashtags may not be relevant for your videos, so take a look at the most popular hashtags for your type of content.
What is the most used hashtag on TikTok?
Unsurprisingly the most used hashtag on TikTok is #tiktok. This is followed by two other TikTok-specific hashtags: #foryoupage and #fyp. Just as the two hashtags connected to TikTok’s For You page are made by people hoping for TikTok success, #viral is also used in an attempt to boost a video’s performance. The next few hashtags are relatively general descriptions of content: #love, #funny, and #memes. #followme is another less than subtle hashtag, used by people trying to boost their follower numbers.
The logical reason why so many people use hashtags on TikTok is that they work. They serve a double purpose. Firstly, they help group content so you can search for similar types of videos. The popular #funny and #memes tags are clear examples of this. Secondly, you can use them to group conversations on a theme. For example, a business might create a custom hashtag for a challenge, and everybody who makes videos connected to the challenge would use the hashtag.
How do I find a great hashtag on TikTok?
There are more than 120 trending hashtags listed in this article that you can use as a starting point when looking for a great hashtag on TikTok. If you’re interested in what is popular in your country, we have a tool that lists the most popular TikTok hashtags for six countries. If, on the other hand, you want to create a custom hashtag, you could use our TikTok Hashtag Generator. Don’t forget to check out the hashtags your competitors are using.
As we have mentioned in this article, the simplest way to search for hashtags is to use our TikTok Hashtag Generator tool. Alternatively, you could go through the following steps:
1) Analyze hashtags used in content in your niche
2) Check out the hashtags your competitors are using
3) Create your own hashtag
Alternatively, you might look at one of the lists from this article and choose one or two relevant hashtags from one of them.
As we have seen in this article, quite a few of the top TikTok hashtags are TikTok-specific. Two of the top hashtags directly relate to TikTok’s For You page: #foryoupage and #fyp. While it is true that many people use these terms to search for videos, it is debatable whether they really help your chances of TikTok feeding your video onto people’s For You page. TikTok focuses more on the quality of your video and how a trial audience reacts to it.